Monday, August 13, 2007

WI Gov. Tommy Thompson Drops Out

I guess I was right. The '08 field is starting to thin out a bit.

The New York Times reports...

After a sixth-place finish in Saturday’s Iowa Straw Poll, Tommy Thompson, the four-term governor of Wisconsin and former secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, said he was ending his presidential bid.

Mr. Thompson’s campaign issued a statement tonight confirming his decision to drop out of the race:

“I want to thank the people of Iowa who were welcoming and supportive as well as my volunteers and contributors from around the country,” Mr. Thompson said in the statement. “I have no regrets about running. I felt my record as Governor of Wisconsin and Secretary of Health and Human Services gave me the experience I needed to serve as President, but I respect the decision of the voters. I am leaving the campaign trail today, but I will not leave the challenges of improving health care and welfare in America.”

Mr. Thompson focused his campaign on building support in Iowa, visiting all of the state’s 99 counties. But he had been saying for weeks that without a strong showing in the straw poll, he was likely to bow out.

Yesterday, he won about 7 percent of the vote, putting him behind five of his rivals, including former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who won the straw poll handily with 32 percent of the vote, and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, the runner-up.

Mr. Thompson indicated in the statement that he would return to work in the private and nonprofit sectors after “a brief time off.”

“I have very much enjoyed my years in public service and I am comforted by the fact that I think I made a difference for people during that time,” he said. “I hope to continue working to serve others over the next few years.”

LINK: Tommy Thompson Bows Out of Race

For what it is worth, Romney won the straw poll and Huckabee (my second favorite GOP candidate) came in 2nd.

So now it is even. Eight Republicans and eight Democrats...

-Mr. Joseph

Please note that I am glad he dropped out. I don't want Tommy Thompson to be the first President from Wisconsin -- that needs to be Senator Russ Feingold.

No comments: