Monday, March 19, 2007

Even MORE on the Olbermann/Beck Feud

Media Matters documents the Olbermann "Worst Person" rip and Think Progress notes Glenn Beck's rant...

Olbermann:

On the March 16 edition of MSNBC's Countdown, host Keith Olbermann named CNN Headline News host and ABC News contributor Glenn Beck the winner of his nightly "Worst Person in the World" segment for claiming on the March 15 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show, as Media Matters for America documented, that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) cannot be elected president because of her voice: "[S]he is like the stereotypical -- excuse the expression, but this is the way to -- she's the stereotypical bitch ... that stereotypical nagging." As Media Matters also noted, on the March 16 edition of his radio show, Beck denied calling Clinton "a bitch," claiming instead that "Hillary Clinton sounds like the biggest nag on the planet ... I never said that Hillary Clinton -- excuse the language -- I never said that Hillary Clinton was a bitch. I said she sounded like one."

Olbermann awarded Fox News host Sean Hannity "the bronze" because, as Media Matters also documented, "He repeated the tale that President Clinton fired a U.S. attorney because the attorney was investigating Whitewater." Olbermann observed: "In fact, that U.S. attorney, Charles Banks, a Republican, investigated Whitewater, decided in October 1992 that there was no there there, resisted pressure from the first President Bush's attorney general to prosecute anyway." Olbermann acknowledged that "this could have gone to the Wall Street Journal editorial board," which made a similar accusation in a March 14 editorial, as Media Matters also documented.

From the March 16 edition of MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann:

OLBERMANN: The bronze to Sean Hannity, although this could have gone to the Wall Street Journal editorial board or Republican strategist Joe Watkins, who repeated this lie today on the network, or a lot of other people. But Sean likes "Worst Person" honors, so, tag, you're it. He repeated the tale that President Clinton fired a U.S. attorney because the attorney was investigating Whitewater.

In fact, that U.S. attorney, Charles Banks, a Republican, investigated Whitewater, decided in October 1992 that there was no there there, resisted pressure from the first President Bush's attorney general to prosecute anyway.

[...]

But our winner tonight, Glenn Beck of CNN and ABC, explaining that Senator Clinton cannot be elected president because of her voice. Quoting, "[S]he is like the stereotypical -- excuse the expression, but this is the way to -- she's the stereotypical bitch ... that stereotypical nagging -- nah, nah, nah, nah, nah," unquote. Beck says he would say the same thing about [Secretary of State] Condi Rice. Yeah, except he didn't. Glenn Beck, today's "Worst Person in the World."

LINK: Olbermann named Beck "Worst Person" for calling Clinton "the stereotypical bitch"; Hannity took "bronze"

RELATED READING:

VIDEO: Worst Person: Glenn Beck

Beck:

Last month, CNN’s Glenn Beck attacked MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann, calling him an “intolerant ideologue” whose ideas “smack of the same McCarthyism [Edward R.] Murrow fought so valiantly against.”

Yesterday on CNN’s Reliable Sources, Beck once again went after Olbermann: “I’m in the hot seat almost constantly because I’m doing an opinion show — but I am telling you I’m doing an opinion show. I am in the hot seat because I’m a conservative — but I’m telling you that I’m a conservative. It’s people like Keith Olbermann doing news shows, never will ever admit that he’s a liberal. He is a liberal and he’s also blending news and comment together. That is the great danger.”

Beck is wrong. From a 6/9/05 Houston Chronicle profile:

A lot of my personal worldview is unmistakably sympathetic to things in a liberal playbook, but honest to God, I have been called a reactionary by some on the far left, a liberal by some on the far right and I’m insulted by both terms. My point of view is about delivering information and context. It has nothing to do with a political point of view.

While Olbermann admits that personally, he is liberal, he maintains that he focuses on criticizing those in power, which included President Clinton in 1998. I try to be “fair and honest and as accurate and as informed as possible, and allow my viewer to be the same way,” Olbermann told CSPAN last year.

On the other hand, Beck’s comments are more than just “conservative.” They are also, at times, racist, anti-gay, and sexist.

Transcript:

KURTZ: All right. Well, let me read you some comments from MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann. We’re going to play part of your on-air response and we’ll talk about it on the other side. Olbermann told “Rolling Stone” this month, he called you a wolf in sheep’s clothing, a very dangerously bigoted guy who’s selling himself as a pragmatic philosopher. I don’t think he sees his own bigotry. There’s something about him that suggests one night he will say something that costs him his career in television. And you addressed this question of making a career ending move on your show. Let’s watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BECK: If I’m going to be shut down for that, well, it will likely be because of an intolerant ideologue like Keith Olbermann. The very idea smacks of the same McCarthyism Murrow fought so valiantly against.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KURTZ: Now he wasn’t calling for you to be shut down. He said you might shut yourself down by saying something.

BECK: There’s a difference. There’s a difference here and I think this is what it is. We are in a very politically correct world and you can — if you’re honest about it, you can see that there is a different standard. I mean here I am. I’m in the hot seat almost constantly because I’m doing an opinion show but I am telling you I’m doing an opinion show. I am in the hot seat because I’m conservative, but I’m telling you that I’m a conservative. It’s people like Keith Olbermann doing news shows never will ever admit that he’s a liberal. He is a liberal and he’s also blending news and comment together. That is a great danger. But I would think that…

KURTZ: When he does his commentary, it says on the screen ’special comment.’

BECK: You’re only finding his commentary there in the special commentary? I mean come on.

LINK: Beck Falsely Claims Olbermann Will ‘Never Admit He’s A Liberal’

Developing...
-Mr. Joseph

No comments: