Wednesday, March 28, 2007

McCain-Space: McCain for "marriage between two passionate females"


This is brilliant. A shout out to Mike Davidson of Newsvine -- a website that I am part of...

From Crooks and Liars...

Someone on Presidential hopeful John McCain's staff is going to be in trouble today. They used a well known template to create his Myspace page. The template was designed by Newsvine Founder and CEO Mike Davidson (original template is here). Davidson gave the template code away to anyone who wanted to use it, but asked that he be given credit when it was used, and told users to host their own image files.

McCain's staff used his template, but didn't give Davidson credit. Worse, he says, they use images that are on his server, meaning he has to pay for the bandwidth used from page views on McCain's site.

Davidson decided to play a small prank on the campaign this morning as retribution. Since he's in control of some of the images on the site, he replaced one that shows contact information with a statement:

Today I announce that I have reversed my position and come out in full support of gay mariage…particularly marriage between two passionate females.

LINK: John McCain’s MySpace Site Gets An Interesting “Straight Talk” Twist

More from Countdown's The Newshole...
The site was hacked over a breach of netiquette by McCain's web people, who were using a free page template without giving credit (that's almost stealing!), and "hotlinking" images from the designer's site, using his bandwidth (that sorta is stealing!).

The 'hacker' tells his tale here.

You see, John McCain's people commandeered my world-renowned MySpace design template and did a few things wrong:

  1. They did not credit me for the template, even though the template explicitly requested credit.
  2. They used my own unmodified imagery, specifically for the "Contacting John McCain" table.
  3. As if #2 wasn't bad enough, the McCain crew is actually pulling their image directly from my server on each page load. So every time someone visits the McCain MySpace page, my bandwidth is being used to deliver part of the page! Bad McCain!

So...

Numerous people have written me over the last few weeks to tell me that McCain has been using my code, but up until I realized he was pulling images from my server, I didn't really care. A lot of celebrities including Ryan "Van Wilder" Reynolds and the beautiful Nelly Furtado use my code and I'm totally cool with it.

But then I read the article in today's Newsweek about how politicians are all setting up MySpace pages in order to "connect" with younger audiences. McCain's MySpace page is listed, as are the pages from several other candidates. I think the idea of politicians setting up MySpace pages and pretending to actually use them is a bit disingenuous, so I figured it was time to play a little prank on Johnny Mac.

LINK: MCCAIN FOR 'MARRIAGE BETWEEN PASSIONATE FEMALES'

Too funny...
-Mr. Joseph

No comments: